View east across St. Peter's Squadron, c. 1944-5

This is the view east from the steps of St. Peter's Basilica, looking across St. Peter's Square. The buildings that currently complete the eastern side of the square were built after the war. In the background is the gap left by Mussolini's demolition of the 'spina', a block of buildings between two of the approach roads to the square

This picture comes from the collection of Jim Tucker, who served with No.293 Squadron. Many thanks to his son-in-law Roger Bruton for sending us these pictures.

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (3 June 2017), View east across St. Peter's Squadron, c. 1944-5 , http://www.historyofwar.org/Pictures/pictures_jim_tucker_st_peters_square2.html

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group - Cookies