337th Fighter Group (USAAF)

History - Books - Aircraft - Time Line - Commanders - Main Bases - Component Units - Assigned To

History

The 337th Fighter Group (USAAF) was a training group that served with the Third Air Force in the south-east of the United States from 1942 until 1944.

The group was constituted on 16 July 1942 and activated on 23 July 1942. It was equipped with a wide range of aircraft, although it was mainly used to train P-40 pilots in 1942-43 and P-51 pilots in 1944. The group was used to train replacements to fill gaps in existing units that had been deployed to the combat zone.

The group was disbanded on 1 May 1944 when the USAAF reorganised its training system, replacing numbered groups with Base units.

Books

Pending

Aircraft

1942-1943: Curtiss P-40 Warhawk
1944: North American P-51 Mustang

Timeline

16 July 1942 Constituted as 337th Fighter Group
23 July 1942 Activated and assigned to Third Air Force
1 May 1944 Disbanded

Commanders (with date of appointment)

Lt Col James Ferguson: 27 Jul 1942
Col Charles Kegelman: 12 Nov 1943-1 May 1944

Main Bases

Morris Field, NC: 23 Jul 1942
Drew Field, Fla: 7 Aug 1942
Sarasota, Fla: c. 3 Jan 1943-1 May 1944

Component Units

98th: 1942-1944
303rd: 1942-1944
304th: 1942-1944
440th: 1943-1944

Assigned To

Third Air Force

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (17 August 2018), 337th Fighter Group (USAAF) , http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/USAAF/337th_Fighter_Group.html

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group - Cookies