338th Fighter Group (USAAF)

History - Books - Aircraft - Time Line - Commanders - Main Bases - Component Units - Assigned To

History

The 338th Fighter Group (USAAF) was a training unit that served with the Third Air Force from 1942 until 1944.

The group was constituted on 16 July 1942 and activated on 22 July 1942. at first it was used to train replacement pilots for a range of aircraft, including the P-39, P-40, P-47 and P-51, to fill gaps in existing combat units.

In September 1943 the group got rid of all of its aircraft apart from the P-47, which it operated for the rest of its existence.

The group was disbanded on 1 May 1944, as the USAAF changed its training system from one based on numbered groups to one based on Base Units.

Books

Pending

Aircraft

1942-September 1943: Bell P-39 Airacobra, Curtiss P-40 Warhawk, Republic P-47 Thunderbolt, North American P-51 Mustang
September 1943-May 1944: Republic P-47 Thunderbolt

Timeline

16 July 1942 Constituted as 338th Fighter Group
22 July 1942 Activated and assigned to Third Air Force
1 May 1944 Disbanded

Commanders (with date of appointment)

2nd Lt Alfred T Bishop: 23 Jul 1942
Maj Robert B Richard: 7 Sep 1942
Col Lee Q Wasser: 18 Sep 1942
Lt Col Robert B Richard: 5 May 1943
Lt Col Oswald W Lunde: 10 Aug 1943
Lt Col Dale D Brannon: 11 Jan-1 May 194

Main Bases

Dale Mabry Field: Fla, 22 Jul 1942-1 May 1944

Component Units

305th: 1942-1944
306th: 1942-1944
312th: 1942-1944
441st: 1943-1944

Assigned To

305th: 1942-1944
306th: 1942-1944
312th: 1942-1944
441st: 1943-1944

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (28 August 2018), 338th Fighter Group (USAAF) , http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/USAAF/338th_Fighter_Group.html

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group - Cookies