The 393rd Bombardment Group was a training unit that was based in the US from its formation in 1943 until it was inactivated in 1944.
The group was activated on 16 February 1943. It was equipped with the B-17 and assigned to the Second Air Force. From February to August 1943 it served as an Operational Training Unit, before becoming a replacement training unit. The group was inactivated on 1 April 1944.
1943-44: Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
|29 January 1943||Constituted as 393rd Bombardment Group (Heavy)|
|16 February 1943||Activated and assigned to Second Air Force|
|1 April 1944||Inactivated|
Col Chester P Gilger:
Lt Col George A Blakey: 15 Sep 1943-1 Apr 1944.
Geiger Field, Wash: 16 Feb 1943
Gowen Field, Idaho: 3 Mar 1943
Wendover Field, Utah: Apr 1943
Sioux City AAB: Iowa, 11 Jun 1943
Kearney AAFld, Neb: 1 Aug 1943
Sioux City AAB, Iowa: 7 Nov 1943-1 Apr 1944.
580th Bombardment Squadron: 1943-44
581st Bombardment Squadron: 1943-44
582nd Bombardment Squadron: 1943-44
583rd Bombardment Squadron: 1943-44
1943-44: Second Air Force