471st Bombardment Group

History - Books - Aircraft - Time Line - Commanders - Main Bases - Component Units - Assigned To

History

The 471st Bombardment Group was a home based training unit that was active from May 1943 to April 1944. The group was activated on 1 May 1943 and was equipped with the B-24. It was a replacement training unit in the Second Air Force from May 1943 to January 1944 and then in the First Air Force from January 1944 until it was disbanded on 10 April 1944.

Books

To follow

Aircraft

1943-44: Consolidated B-24 Liberator

Timeline

22 April 1943 Constituted as 471st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
1 May 1943 Activated and assigned to Second Air Force
January 1944 To First Air Force
10 April 1944 Disbanded

Commanders (with date of appointment)

Lt Col Raymond L Cobb: 1 Jun 1943
Lt Col Wilson H Banks: 16 Oct 1943-unkn.

Main Bases

Alexandria, La: 1 May 1943
Pueblo AAB, Colo: 7 May 1943
Westover Field, Mass: 28 Jan-10 Apr 1944

Component Units

804th Bombardment Squadron: 1943-1944.
805th Bombardment Squadron: 1943-1944.
806th Bombardment Squadron: 1943-1944.
807th Bombardment Squadron: 1943-1944.

Assigned To

May 1943-January 1944: Second Air Force
January-April 1944: First Air Force

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (10 April 2014), 471st Bombardment Group , http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/USAAF/471st_Bombardment_Group.html

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group - Cookies