The 75th Reconnaissance Group (USAAF) was a home based unit that supported army training unit in 1942 and was a replacement training unit from 1943 until 1944.
The group was formed in February 1942 and was equipped with a wide range of aircraft. While the 124th Squadron was used to fly anti-submarine patrols over the Gulf of Mexico, the rest of the group was used to help train the rapidly expanding US Army. It was used to fly reconnaissance missions, artillery spotting, ground attack and dive bombing in support of training exercises. It also took part in the Louisiana Manoeuvres late in 1942.
From early in 1943 until the group was disbanded in May 1944 it was used as a replacement training unit, training crews and pilots to fill gaps in existing operational reconnaissance units.
North American B-25 Mitchell, Douglas A-20 Boston/ Havoc, Stinson L-1 Vigilant, Taylorcraft L-2 Grasshopper, Piper L-4 Grasshopper, North American O-47 , Curtiss O-52 Owl, Bell P-39 Airacobra, Curtiss P-40 Warhawk, North American P-51 Mustang
|5 Feb 1942||Constituted as 75th Observation Group|
|26 Feb 1942||Activated|
|April 1943||Redesignated 75th Reconnaissance Group|
|August 1943||Redesignated 75th Tactical Reconnaissance Group|
|1 May 1944||Disbanded|
Coll. Frederick A Bacher:
c. 30 Mar 1942
Col John E Bodle: 5 Apr 1943
Maj Delwin B Avery: 15 Sep 1943
Lt Col George C P Gifford: 17 Sep 1943
Lt Col John R Dyas: 1 Jan-1 May 1944
Ellington Field, Tex: 27 Feb
Birmingham, Ala: Mar 1942
Tullahoma, Tenn: Nov 1942
Key Field, Miss: August 1943-1 May 1944