The 77th Reconnaissance Group (USAAF) was a home based unit that mainly operated alongside army units undergoing training, but that also provided detachments for active service around the borders of the United States and in India.
The group was activated on 2 March 1942 as the 77th Observation Group. It was almost immediately called on to provide detachments for service around the American borders. In March 1942 the 113th Squadron began to fly antisubmarine patrols over the Gulf of Mexico, while the 120th Squadron operated along the Mexican border.
In June 1942 the 113rd was replaced by the 128th in the Gulf of Mexico. In July the 120th returned from the Mexican border.
Finally, between February and July 1943 a detachment from the group served in India.
The group's main role, which it carried out between these diversions, was to provide support for ground units undergoing training in the United States. In this role it played the role of fighters, bombers, artillery adjustment aircraft and reconnaissance aircraft.
The group was disbanded on 30 November 1943 and most of its squadrons moved on to other organisations.
Bell P-39 Airacobra, Curtiss P-40 Warhawk, Douglas A-20 Boston/ Havoc, North American B-25 Mitchell, North American O-47 , Curtiss O-52 Owl, Stinson L-5 Sentinel
|5 Feb 1942||Constituted as 77th Observation Group|
|2 March 1942||Activated|
|April 1943||Redesignated 77th Reconnaissance Group|
|August 1943||Redesignated 77th Tactical Reconnaissance Group|
|30 Nov 1943||Disbanded|
Maj Harrison W Wellman:
Lt Col Christopher C Scott: c. 3 Apr 1942
Col J C Kennedy: 1942-unkn
Lt Col Joseph E Barzynski: c. 19 Apr 1~3-unkn
Salinas AAB, Calif: 2 Mar
Brownwood, Tex: c. 17 Mar 1942
DeRidder AAB, La: 25 Jul 1942
Alamo Airfield, Tex: 28 Sep 1942
Abilene AAFld, Tex: 6 Apr 1943
Esler Field, La: 13 Sep 1943
Birmingham AAFld, Ala: 14-30 Nov 1943
128th (late 840th Bombardment): 1942-43