The 504th Bombardment Group (Very Heavy) was a B-29 Superfortress group that took part in the bombing campaign against Japan and the mining campaign that helped to cut Japan off from the remnants of her empire.
The 505th Bombardment Group, USAAF, was a B-29 unit that took part in the strategic bombing campaign against Japan and the mining campaign that cut off the Japanese Home Islands.
The Morane-Saulnier M.S.476 Vanneau was an experimental variant of the M.S.475 Vanneau V, and was given a greatly modified wing.
The Morane-Saulnier M.S.477 Vanneau was an experimental variant of the M.S.475 Vanneau V that was given a Renault engine.
The Morane-Saulnier M.S.478 Vanneau was the designation given to a version of the Vanneau that was to have been powered by an Italian produced Isotta Fraschini Delta engine.
The Morane-Saulnier M.S.479 Vanneau was the last entry in the Vanneau family and was powered by a SNECMA 14X Super Mars engine.
The Morane-Saulnier M.S.474 Vanneau IV (Plover) was a carrier-borne version of the Vanneau two-seat trainer, produced for the French Aéronavale.
The Morane-Saulnier M.S.475 Vanneau V was the final production version in the Vanneau family and was a two-seat advanced trainer that remained in use from 1950 into the late 1960s.
The Morane-Saulnier M.S.470 Vanneau (Plover) was the prototype of a family of two-seat trainers that served with the French air force and navy in the post-war period.
The Morane-Saulnier M.S.472 Vanneau II (Plover) was the first production version of the Veaneau and was a two-seat trainer that was used by the French Armée de l'Air from 1946 until the late 1960s.
The Morane-Saulnier M.S.450 was an improved version of the M.S.406 developed for a French fighter requirement of 1937 but that didn't enter production.
The Morane-Saulnier M.S.530 was the last in a long series of parasol wing training aircraft to be built by Morane-Saulnier.
The Morane-Saulnier M.S.1500 Epervier (Sparrowhawk) was designed in response to a requirement for a counter-insurgency aircraft for use in Algeria.
The Morane-Saulnier M.S.408 was a single-seat version of the M.S.430 training aircraft that was evaluated by the Armee de l'Air, but that wasn't accepted for service.
The Morane-Saulnier M.S.430 was a two-seat training aircraft based on the M.S.405 single-seat fighter.
The Morane-Saulnier M.S.433 was a design for a two-seat training aircraft that would have been based on the M.S.430 and powered by a Gnome-Rhône 7Kfs radial engine.
The Morane-Saulnier M.S.435 P.2 was a two-man advanced trainer based on the M.S.405 single seat fighter that was ordered into production in 1939 but that wasn't delivered before the fall of France.
The Focke-Wulf Fw 300 was originally a design for a long range civil airliner, but it was adapted for possible use as a long range reconnaissance aircraft and guided weapons carrier.
The Focke-Wulf Ta 400 was a design for a six-engined long range bomber capable of reaching the United States from Continental Europe. A wind tunnel model was produced, but the design never reached the prototype stage.
The Focke-Wulf Ta 183 was a design for an advanced single-seat jet fighter that was under development towards the end of the Second World War.
The Focke-Wulf Ta 283 was a design for a twin-engined ramjet powered fighter aircraft that was under development during 1945 but that was never completed.
The 393rd Bombardment Group was a training unit that was based in the US from its formation in 1943 until it was inactivated in 1944.
The 399th Bombardment Group, USAAF, was a training unit that was based in the United States from its formation in 1943 until it was disbanded in 1944.
The 457th Bombardment Group was a B-17 group that took part in the Eighth Air Force's strategic bombing campaign from February 1944 until April 1945.
The 378th Bombardment Group was a short-lived anti-submarine warfare unit that served in the US during 1942.
The 380th Bombardment Group was a B-24 unit that entered combat from Australia and that was attached to the RAAF for most of its operational career, fighting over New Guinea, the Dutch East Indies, Bornea, the Philippines, Formosa and eventually Japan.
The 383rd Bombardment Group, USAAF, went through two incarnations during the Second World War, first as a training unit and then as a B-29 unit in the Eighth Air Force in the Pacific.
The 346th Bombardment Group, USAAF, went through two incarnations during the Second World War, first as a US-based training unit and the second as part of the Eighth Air Force in the Far East.
The 376th Bombardment Group was a heavy bomber unit that was formed in the Mediterranean theatre and remained there until the spring of 1945, fighting in North Africa, Italy and raiding across the southern part of the Nazi Empire.
The 377th Bombardment Group was an anti-submarine group that operated for a short period in 1942.
The 340th Bombardment Group, USAAF, was a B-25 Mitchell group that served in North Africa, Sicily and Italy, initially acting in support of the British Eighth Army before moving on to support the combined Allied armies in Italy.
The 344th Bombardment Group, USAAF, was a B-26 group within the Ninth Air Force and acted in support of the Allied armies invading Europe in 1944-45.
The 345th Bombardment Group, USAAF, was a B-25 unit that was heavily engaged in the fighting in New Guinea, the south-west Pacific and the Philippines.
The Mitsubishi Navy 7-Shi Experimental Carrier Fighter (1MF10) was an unsuccessful design for a fighter to replace the Nakajima A2N, and was the first low wing monoplane fighter to be submitted to the Japanese Navy.
The Mitsubishi Ki-40 was a design for a long range twin-engined aircraft based on the Ki-39 fighter.
The 323rd Bombardment Group was a B-26 Marauder unit that formed part of the Eighth and then Ninth Air Forces and took part in the campaign against German positions in occupied France before D-Day and supported the Allied armies after the invasion.
The 335th Bombardment Group, USAAF, was a training unit that served in the United States during the Second World War.
The 336th Bombardment Group, USAAF, was a training unit that was based in the US from 1942-44.
The 322nd Bombardment Group was a medium bomber group that had a disastrous introduction to combat in the spring of 1943, losing ten out of eleven aircraft on its second raid, but that went on to develop effective medium level medium bomber tactics and supported the Allied armies after the D-Day invasions.
The 333rd Bombardment Group, USAAF, had two incarnations during the Second World War, first as a training unit and then as a B-29 group in the Eighth Air Force in the Far East.
The 334th Bombardment Group, USAAF, was a training unit that served in the United States during the Second World War.
The 321st Bombardment Group, USAAF, was a B-25 group that fought in North Africa, Sicily, Italy and southern France, sinking the battleship Strasbourg during that campaign.
The 330th Bombardment Group, USAAF, had two incarnations during the Second World War, first as a training unit and then as a B-29 unit that took part in the strategic bombing campaign against Japan.
The 331st Bombardment Group went through two incarnations during the Second World War, first as a replacement training unit and second as a B-29 unit with the Twentieth Air Force.
The 312th Bombardment Group fought in the South West Pacific, starting as a light bomber group equipped with P-40 fighter-bombers. It soon converted to the A-20 and used these aircraft in New Guinea and the Philippines. Late in the war the group began to convert to the Consolidated B-32 Dominator, but only a handful of these heavy bombers saw combat before the end of the fighting.
The 319th Bombardment Group entered service as a B-26 unit that took part in Operation Torch and the campaign in of Italy, before at the start of 1944 it was withdraw to the US, converted to the A-26 and moved to Okinawa, where it entered combat against the Japanese in July 1945.
The 320th Bombardment Group, USAAF, was a B-26 Marauder unit that fought in North Africa, Sicily and Italy before moving to the western Front to take part in the fighting in France and Germany.
The Mitsubishi Experimental Tobi-type Reconnaissance Aircraft (2MR1) was a potentially promising aircraft that was badly damaged during an official Japanese Army test flight and never entered production.
The Mitsubishi Experimental Special-purpose Carrier Reconnaissance Aircraft (2MR5) was one of a series of aircraft designed for Mitsubishi by Dr Alexander Baumann of Stuttgart University.
The 308th Bombardment Group was a heavy bomber unit that was based in China from March 1943 until June 1945, from where it supported the Chinese and attacked the Japanese Empire from the west.
The 309th Bombardment Group was a training group that served in the United States from early in 1942 until it was disbanded in the spring of 1944.
The 310th Bombardment Group was a B-25 Mitchell group within the Twelfth Air Force that served in North Africa, Sicily and on the mainland of Italy, mainly targeting Axis communication targets.
The Nakajima E12N1 Experimental 12-Shi Two-seat Reconnaissance Seaplane was Nakajima's last reconnaissance seaplane design and lacked the handling to enter service.
The Nakajima L1N1 Navy Type AT-2 Transport was the designation given to a number of Army Ki-34 twin-engined transport aircraft that were handed over to the Japanese Navy.
The Nakajima J1N, allied code name 'Irving', was originally designed as a long range fighter aircraft for operations over China, but entered service as a long-range reconnaissance aircraft and later became a night fighter, when it was known as the Gekko (Moonlight).
The Nakajima J5N1 Tenrai (Heavenly Thunder) was a design for a single-seat twin-engine interceptor that reached the prototype stage during 1944 but that didn't enter production.
The Nakajima Ki-82 was a design for a new aircraft to replace the disappointing Nakajima Ki-49 Donryu, but the success of the Mitsubishi Ki-67 meant that the design was never completed.
The Nakajima Ki-201 Karyu (Fire Dragon) was the Japanese Army's attempt to produce a jet fighter, and like the Navy's Kikka closely resembled the Messerschmitt Me 262.
The Nakajima Ki-49 Donryu (Storm Dragon) 'Helen' was a somewhat disappointing Japanese Army bomber that served in China, New Guinea and the Philippines, but proved to be vulnerable to Allied fighters as the war progressed and to have disappointing speed and handling.
The Nakajima Ki-80 was a version of the Ki-49 Donryu Army Type 100 Heavy Bomber designed for use by formation leaders. Two were built in October 1941, but they did not enter service.
The Nakajima G5N Shinzen (Mountain Recess) was a four-engined heavy bomber that was based on the Douglas DC-4E transport aircraft.
The Nakajima G10N Fugaku (Mount Fuji) was a design for a very heavy bomber capable of reaching the United States from bases in Japan while carrying a useful payload.
The Nakajima E4N was a reconnaissance biplane that went through two very different designs before entering service with the Japanese Navy during the 1930s.
The Nakajima E8N 'Dave' Navy Type 95 Reconnaissance Seaplane was a biplane that replaced the earlier Nakajima E4N Navy Type 90-2-2 Reconnaissance Seaplane and was a very similar design.
The Nakajima D3N Experimental 11-Shi Carrier Bomber was designed to replace the Aichi Type 97 Carrier Bomber, but lost out to the Aichi D3A1.
The Nakajima E2N was a sesquiplane reconnaissance aircraft that served as a catapult based short-range reconnaissance aircraft and as a training aircraft for several years after entering production in 1927.
The Nakajima C2N was a reconnaissance version of the Fokker Super Universal passenger transport aircraft, produced under license in Japan by Nakajima.
The Nakajima-Fokker Ki-6 Type 95-2 Crew Trainer was based on the Fokker Super Universal and was designed to train the crews of multi-place bomber aircraft.
The Nakajima Ki-34 Army Type 97 Transport was a twin-engined light transport that was originally developed as a smaller version of the Douglas DC-2 for use on short range, low traffic civil airline routes.
The Nakajima Ki-68 was a design for a four-engined heavy bomber based on the Douglas DC-4E.
The Nakajima Ki-8 Experimental Two-Seat Fighter was a single-engine two-seat fighter produced as a private venture in the hope that the Japanese army would be interested.
The Nakajima Ki-19 was a twin-engined heavy bomber that was developed in 1936-37, but that lost out to the Mitsubishi Ki-21.
The Nakajima D2N was Nakajima's last attempt to design a dive-bomber, and was developed in cooperation with the Japanese Navy.
The Nakajima C6N Saiun (Painted Cloud) 'Myrt' was a fast long-range reconnaissance aircraft that entered service in the summer of 1944 and was almost immune to Allied interception.
The Nakajima B4N Experimental 9-Shi Carrier Attack Aircraft was an unsuccessful Nakajima entry in a 1934 carrier bomber contest.
The Nakajima C3N was a design for a carrier based reconnaissance aircraft that reached the prototype stage but that was superseded by another Nakajima design, the B5N 'Kate'.
The Nakajima Type 91 Fighter was a parasol wing monoplane that served as the main fighter aircraft for the Japanese army after its introduction in 1932.
The Nakajima Ki-4 Army Type 94 Reconnaissance Aircraft was a multi-purpose Army support biplane that was the first aircraft to be designed by a private firm but with direct Army involvement in the design process.
No.20 Fighter Squadron, RNZAF, spent two spells on Bougainville, where it supported the fighting on the ground and took part in the campaign against Rabaul. It also took part in the campaign against Rabaul during a short spell on Green Island during 1944 and a longer spell based on New New Britain in 1945
No.21 Fighter Squadron, RNZAF, took part in the long campaign against Rabaul, both from bases on Bougainville and Green Island and supported the Australian offensive on Bougainville.
The Doflug D-3802/ Morane-Saulnier M.S.540 was developed in Switzerland from the M.S.450 and was basically an improved version of the M.S.406.
The Doflug D-3803 was the final member of the Morane-Saulnier M.S.405/ M.S.406 family, and was an improved version of the D-3802 developed by Dornier in Switzerland.
The Mitsubishi Experimental 8-Shi Two-seat Fighter (Ka-8) was produced in response to work on two-seat fighters in Europe and the United States, but was abandoned after the second prototype disintegrated in the air.
The Mitsubishi Experimental Short Range Reconnaissance Aircraft (2MR7) was a private venture design produced just before the more successful 2MR8, which entered service as the Army Type 92 Reconnaissance Aircraft.
No.18 Fighter Squadron, RNZAF, took part in the invasions of the Treasury Islands and Bougainville in 1943, and spent much of 1944 and 1945 supporting the American and Australian campaigns on that island. It also spent some time on Green Island, taking part in the long campaign against Rabaul.
No.19 Fighter Squadron, RNZAF, took part in the battle against the Japanese counterattack on Bougainville in March 1944, the campaigns to neutralise Kavieng and Rabaul and helped provide air cover at Los Negros, the most westerly base used by the RNZAF in the Pacific.
The Focke-Wulf Fw 186 was a gyroplane that was developed in 1937-38 to compete with the Fieseler Fi 156 Storch, but that never entered production.
The Focke-Achgelis Fa 336 was a design for a powered version of the Fa 330 gyro kite.
The Focke-Achgelis Fa 284 was a design for a helicopter 'flying crane' designed to move heavy cargos suspended below the aircraft.
The Focke-Achgelis Fa 330 Backstelze (Water Wagtail) was the most numerous and simplest of Focke's rotor craft and was a simple unpowered gyro kite designed to increase the viewing distance from a U-boat.
No.16 Fighter Squadron, RNZAF, took part in the invasion of New Georgia, the American and Australian campaigns on Bougainville and the long campaign to neutralise Rabaul.
No.17 Fighter Squadron, RNZAF, took part in the fighting around Guadalcanal in 1943, supported the invasion of Vella Lavella, the campaigns on Bougainville and the long campaign to neutralise Rabaul. It ended the war providing fighter cover on Los Negros, the most westerly Pacific base to be used by the RNZAF.
The Focke-Achgelis Fa 225 was the prototype of a rotary wing glider, combining the rotor from a Fa 223 with the fuselage of a DFS 230 freight glider.
The Focke-Achgelis Fa 269 was a design for a convertiplane that would have taken off and landed like a helicopter but flown in level flight like a standard fixed-wing aircraft.
The Focke-Achgelis Fa 223 Drache (Dragon) was a twin-rotor helicopter that entered service in small numbers late in the Second World War.
The Focke-Achgelis Fa 224 was to have been a two-seat sports helicopter based on the experimental Focke-Wulf Fw 61/ Focke-Achgelis Fa 61, the first practical helicopter in the world.
No.14 Fighter Squadron, RNZAF, took part in the fighting in the South Pacific, serving on Guadalcanal, during the invasions of New Georgia and Bougainville and the long campaigns to neutralise Rabaul and Kavieng.
No.15 Fighter Squadron, RNZAF, fought in the South Pacific, helping to defend Guadalcanal and taking part in the invasions of New Georgia and Bougainville and the later Australain campaign on Bougainville well as the long campaign to neutralise the Japanese base at Rabaul.
No.7 General Reconnaissance Squadron, RNZAF, was a short-lived squadron that flew patrols from the northern tip of New Zealand during 1942 and early 1943.
No.8 Bomber Reconnaissance Squadron, RNZAF, went through two incarnations during the Second World War. The first was a home-based squadron that was disbanded early in 1943 while the second incarnation spent two months in the combat zone early in 1945 when it took part in the campaign to isolate Kavieng.
No.9 Bomber Reconnaissance Squadron, RNZAF, was formed overseas in July 1942 in response to an American request for assistance. The squadron flew anti-submarine patrols from New Caledonia, then Espiritu Santo in 1942-43. During 1944 it was posted to Bougainville where it flew patrols and attacked Japanese targets on the island and in 1945 it took part in the campaign to isolate Kavieng.
No.5 Flying Boat Squadron, RNZAF, went through two incarnations during the Second World War. In the first it operated the Short Singapore flying boat from Fiji during the period in which there was a real danger of a Japanese invasion. The second began in July 1944 when the squadron was reformed and equipped with the Consolidated Catalina. This incarnation of the squadron flew a mix of anti-submarine patrols and shipping escort missions from Espiritu Santo.
No.6 Flying Boat Squadron, RNZAF, spent most of its existence operating from Guadalcanal, from where it searched for Japanese submarines, took part in air-sea rescue missions and acted as an emergency transport unit.
The Focke-Wulf Fw 61/ Focke-Achgelis Fa 61 was the first practical helicopter in the world, and was a twin-rotor machine that made quite an impact when it was flown through the Deutschlandhalle in February 1938.
The Focke-Achgelis Fa 266 Hornisee (Hornet) was the first genuine transport helicopter in the world, and was an enlarged version of the Focke-Wulf Fw 61/ Focke-Achgelis Fa 61. Soon after making its maiden tethered flight the Fa 266 was taken over by the Germany military and became the Fa 223 Drache.
No.3 Bomber Reconnaissance Squadron, RNZAF, was one of the longest serving New Zealand squadrons of the Pacific War. It fought on Guadalcanal late in 1942, flew regular patrols in support of the fighting on New Georgia during 1943, took part in the Bougainville campaign during 1944 and the long campaign to isolate Rabaul in late 1944 and 1945.
No.4 Bomber Reconnaissance Squadron, RNZAF, spent most of the Pacific war based on Fiji, from where it flew anti-submarine patrols. Late in 1944 it moved to Emirau where it spent two tours flying a mix of maritime patrols and bombing raids on the Japanese base at Rabaul.
No.1 Bomber Reconnaissance Squadron, RNZAF, flew a mix of maritime reconnaissance and bombing missions from bases on Guadalcanal, New Georgia, Green Island and Emirau, searching for submarines and attacking the Japanese bases on Bougainville and at Rabaul and Kavieng.
No.2 Bomber Reconnaissance Squadron, RNZAF, flew maritime patrols from Munda during 1944 and took part in the campaign against Rabaul during 1945, flying a mix of reconnaissance missions and bombing raids.
The Douglas OD-1 was the designation given to two O-2C observation aircraft that were ordered by the US Navy.
The Douglas BT-1 was one of the first basic trainers produced for the USAAC and was a modified version of the Douglas O-2K observation aircraft.
The Douglas BT-2 was a basic trainer originally produced by converting O-32 observation aircraft but that was later produced from new.
The Douglas O-38 was numerically the most important in the family of biplane observation aircraft that began with the Douglas O-2.
The Douglas XA-2 was a ground attack aircraft that was based on the O-2 biplane observation aircraft.
The Douglas O-29 was an unarmed staff transport similar to the O-2K, and based on the O-2H observation aircraft.
The Douglas O-32 was an unarmed staff transport that was very quickly turned into a basic trainer as the BT-2.
The Douglas YO-34 was a single experimental aircraft similar to the earlier O-22 but with a Curtiss Conqueror engine.
The Douglas O-22 was an experimental version of the O-2H observation aircraft, with a swept back upper wing and a radial engine.
The Douglas O-25 was developed from the O-2H observation biplane, and had the Liberty engine of the original aircraft replaced by a Curtiss Conqueror.
The Douglas O-8 was a single aircraft based on the O-2 but powered by a Curtiss radial engine in place of the Liberty engine of the original.
The Douglas O-9 was a single aircraft based on the O-2 observation aircraft, but powered by a geared Packard engine in place of the Liberty engine of the original.
The Douglas XO-14 was a single example of a scaled down version of the O-2H observation aircraft.
The 302nd Bombardment Group was a bomber training unit that served in the United States from 1942-1944.
The 304th Bombardment Group was formed as a standard bombardment unit, but briefly served as an antisubmarine warfare unit in November and December 1942 before being inactivated at the end of December.
The 307th Bombardment Group was a heavy bomber unit that took part in early raids on Wake Island before moving to the South West Pacific, where it spent the rest of the war operating over Japanese held island chains and the Philippines.
The Douglas O-2 was the first in a long series of observation biplanes that with nearly 900 produced were amongst the most important American military aircraft of their era.
The Douglas O-7 was a version of the Douglas O-2 observation aircraft that was powered by a Packard engine in place of the original Liberty engine.
The 98th Bombardment Group was a Liberator group that served in the Mediterranean theatre from August 1942 until the end of the Second World War.
The 99th Bombardment Group was a B-17 group that served in North Africa and as a strategic bomber unit from bases in Italy.
The 88th Bombardment Group was a heavy bomber unit that served as a training unit based in the United States.
The 90th Bombardment Group was a Liberator group that took part in the campaigns in the south-west Pacific and the Philippines
The Douglas O-35 was a twin-engined monoplane observation aircraft that was ordered in small numbers as a test aircraft, and that took part in the Air Corps air mail operation of 1934.
The Douglas XO-36 was the designation originally given to the airframe that was completed as the prototype Douglas XB-7 light bomber.
The Douglas B-7 was the company’s first monoplane bomber, and although it wasn't produced in large numbers did help the US Army Air Corps convert from the older biplanes.
The 45th Bombardment Group was a home based bomber unit that operated off the US Atlantic and Gulf coasts during the first year after the American entry in the Second World War.
The 46th Bombardment Group was a home-based bomber group that flew a few anti-submarine patrols in 1942 before becoming a training unit.
The 47th Bombardment Group was a medium bomber unit that served in North Africa, Italy and the south of France, acting as a night intruder mission from June 1944.
The 40th Bombardment Group was a B-29 bomber group that took part in the early Superfortress campaign from India and China before moving to Tinian early in 1945 to join the main bomber offensive against Japan.
The 41st Bombardment Group was a B-25 bomber unit in the Seventh Air Force that took part in the fighting in the Marshall Islands, Tinian and Guam in 1943-44 and the air campaign over Japan in 1945.
The 38th Bombardment Group was a B-25 group that took part in the long campaigns in New Guinea and the Marshall Islands and supported the invasion of the Philippines.
The 39th Bombardment Group began the Second World War as a training unit before becoming a B-29 Superfortress unit and taking part in the strategic bombing campaign against Japan
The 25th Bombardment Group was part of the American garrison in the Caribbean from 1940 until 1944 when it returned to the US before being disbanded.
The 29th Bombardment Group entered the Second World War as a heavy bomber group based in the Caribbean, before reformed as a B-29 unit and taking part in the strategic bombing campaign against Japan.
The Siemens-Schuckert Werke S.S.W. D VI was a parasol wing fighter that was due to replace the S.S.W. D IV biplane in production, but that appeared too late and didn’t undergo flight tests until 1919.
The Siemens-Schuckert Werke S.S.W. DDr II was the designation given to a proposed version of the unusual DDr I triplane that would have been powered by the Siemens-Halske Sh III engine.
The Siemens-Schuckert Werke S.S.W. E IV was the designation given to a version of the S.S.W. E III that would have had a circular fuselage cross section.
The Siemens-Schuckert Werke S.S.W. D V was a two-bay biplane based on the earlier S.S.W. D III/ D IV series.
The Siemens-Schuckert Werke S.S.W. DDr I was an unusual triplane fighter powered by a pair of engines mounted on the centre line, one pusher and one tractor engine.
The Siemens-Schuckert Werke S.S.W. E III was a monoplane fighter based on the S.S.W. E I, but that was powered by an Oberursel engine in place of the Siemens rotary engine used on the E I.
The 19th Bombardment Group was a heavy bomber group that was caught up in the Japanese invasion of the Philippines and Java and formed part of the defensive forces in Australia during 1942. It then returned to the US where in the spring of 1944 it was reformed as a B-29 group, returning to combat against Japan in February 1945
The 21st Bombardment Group was a home-based bomber group that mainly served as a training unit.
The 13th Bombardment Group was a short-lived formation that took part in the antisubmarine campaign off the US east coast during 1942.
The 16th Bombardment Group was a B-29 group that took part in the last few months of the strategic bombing campaign against Japan.
The 17th Bombardment Group was a B-26 group that took part in Operation Torch, and the invasions of Sicily, Italy and Southern France.
The 3rd Bombardment Group was a light bomber group that took part in the long campaign in New Guinea and the reconquest of the Philippines, before flying a few missions over Japan before the end of the war.
The 9th Bombardment Group was a bombardment group that spent much of the war in Panama, the Caribbean and the US, before moving to Tinian at the start of 1945 where it spent the last year of the war operating B-29s against Japan.
The Siemens-Schuckert Werke S.S.W. D III was a biplane fighter powered by the unusual Siemens-Halske Sh III engine, and that served as a home defence interceptor in Germany late in the First World War.
The Siemens-Schuckert Werke S.S.W. D IV was the final Siemens fighter to see active service during the First World War and was a development of the earlier D II and D III but with modified wings.
The Siemens-Schuckert Werke S.S.W. D I was a single engined scout based very closely on the successful French Nieuport scouts, but that reached the front too late to have any significant impact.
The Siemens-Schuckert Werke S.S.W. D.II was ordered as a test bed for the new Siemens-Halske S.H. III rotary engine.
The Siemens-Schuckert Werke S.S.W E I was the first Siemens fighter to be ordered into production during the First World War, and was a shoulder-wing monoplane similar in appearance to the more famous Fokker eindeckers.
The Siemens-Schuckert Werke S.S.W. E II was a variant on the earlier E I monoplane scout, but using an Argus inline engine in place of the Siemens rotary engine of the E I.
The Curtiss B-2 Condor was a twin engined bomber produced in the late 1920s and that was the last bomber produced for the US Army by Curtiss and was a development of the Curtiss-Martin NBS-1.
The Curtiss O-40 Raven was a sesquiplane observation aircraft produced in tiny numbers for the US Army in the early 1930s.
The Curtiss-Martin NBS-1 was a twin engined biplane bomber of the early 1920s that was designed by Glenn Martin but produced by Curtiss, Aeromarine and L.W.F.
The Curtiss NBS-4 was an improved version of the Curtiss-Martin NBS-1 Night Bomber that was produced in prototype form before being superseded by the Curtiss B-2 Condor
The Curtiss XF14C was the last piston engine fighter to be designed by Curtiss, but by the time the prototype was completed it was no longer needed and didn't enter production.
The Curtiss XF15C was a mixed-power carrier fighter, using a jet engine for high speed and a piston engine for the shorter take-off length and better fuel economy.
The Curtiss F12C/ XS4C/ XSBC (Model 73) was a two-seat parasol wing aircraft that went through a series of designations before being destroyed in a crash. The aircraft was originally ordered by the Navy on 30 June 1932 as a two-seat fighter, largely based on the O-40 Raven observation aircraft.
The Curtiss XF13C was a prototype for a fighter aircraft that could be converted between a parasol wing monoplane and a biplane while in service, reflecting uncertainty in some Naval circles about the best configuration for a fighter aircraft
The Curtiss F7C Seahawk was designed in response to a 1927 contest to produce a naval fighter, but despite being placed into production was only ever used by the Marines at Quantico.
The Curtiss F9C Sparrowhawk was a small biplane fighter that gained great fame after being used as a parasite fighter on the US airships Akronand Macon.
The Navy TS-1 was a small scout aircraft that was the first US Navy fighter specifically designed to operate from an aircraft carrier.
The Curtiss F4C was a version of the Navy TS-1 scout that used an aluminium frame in place of the wooden frame on the earlier aircraft.
The Curtiss O2C was the designation given to the later models of the F8C Helldiver after it was redesignated as a land based observation aircraft.
The Curtiss XS3C-1/ XF10C-1 was the designation given to a single O2C-2 after it was rebuilt to serve as a possible scout or fighter.
The Curtiss OC Falcon was the US Navy's version of the O-1 Falcon two-seat observation aircraft, and was originally produced as the F8C attack aircraft.
The Curtiss F8C Helldiver was the first purpose-built dive bomber to be produced for the US Navy, and despite originally sharing its designation with the Navy's version of the O-1 Falcon observation biplane was actually an entirely new design.
The Curtiss XO-18 was the designation given to a single O-1B that was used to test the Curtiss Chieftain engine.
The Curtiss O-26 was the designation given to a single O-1E Falcon when it was used to test a Prestone-cooled geared Curtiss V-1570-11 Conqueror engine.
The Curtiss O-39 Falcon was a version of the O-1 Falcon two-seat observation aircraft that was powered by the Curtiss Conqueror engine.
The Curtiss O-13 Falcon was the designation given to a small number of O-1 and O-11 Falcon two-seat observation aircraft that were given the Curtiss V-1570 Conqueror engine.
The Curtiss XO-16 was the designation given to an experimental version of the O-1 Falcon with a modified fuselage
The Curtiss O-11 Falcon was a version of the O-1 observation aircraft that was produced for the National Guard, and used surplus Liberty engines.
The Curtiss XO-12 Falcon was the designation given to the last O-11 Falcon when it was used to test the Pratt & Whitney R-1340 Wasp air cooled radial engine.
The Curtiss O-1 Falcon was a two-seat biplane observation aircraft that remained in service for more than a decade, from the early 1920s until the mid 1930s, and that was the first in a sizable family of similar aircraft.
The Curtiss XBT-4 was the designation given to a single O-1E Falcon when it was converted to act as a possible basic trainer.
The Curtiss XP-10 was produced in response to a US Army requirement for a high altitude interceptor, but offered little improvement over the standard Hawk biplane and the single prototype was soon scrapped.
The Curtiss XP-31 Swift was Curtiss’s first monoplane fighter, but despite some advanced features it was a disappointing design and lost out to the Boeing P-26.
The Curtiss Hawk III was the export version of the US Navy's Curtiss BF2C-1, but without the metal wing structure that caused such problems for the Navy.
The Curtiss Hawk IV was a single example of a much improved version of the Hawk biplane, but only one was ever built.
The Curtiss Hawk I was the designation retrospectively given to a number of early Hawk biplane fighters after the development of the Hawk II.
The Curtiss Hawk II (or Goshawk) was an export version of the Hawk biplane fighter that sold in significant numbers, as well as being the basis for the Navy's F11C Hawk.
The Curtiss AT-4 was an unsuccessful attempt to produce an advanced trainer by fitting a less powerful engine in a standard P-1 airframe.
The Curtiss AT-5 was produced in an attempt to create an advanced trainer by fitting a lower powered engine in the fuselage of a standard pursuit aircraft.
The Curtiss BFC was the designation given to the early versions of the Curtiss F11C with fixed undercarriage in March 1934.
The Curtiss BF2C was the first service version of the standard Hawk fighter to have a retractable main undercarriage, but suffered from excessive vibration and was withdrawn from service after only a year.
The Curtiss F6C Hawk was the first version of the US Army's P-1/ P-6 Hawk fighter to see service with the US Navy and evolved from a standard land-based fighter into a dedicated Naval aircraft.
The Curtiss F11C Goshawk was the last version of the Hawk biplane fighter to be produced for the US Military, and was similar to the earlier F6C but with a Cyclone engine in place of the Wasp engine used on the older fighter.
The Curtiss XP-22 was an experimental version of the P-6A Hawk that became the basis for the P-6E.
The Curtiss P-23 saw a major change to the design of the Hawk biplane fighter, with a totally new fuselage, tail, nose, engine and landing gear.
The Curtiss YP-20 was a development machine that went through several designation and three engines before emerging as the prototype for the P-6E.
The Curtiss XP-21 Hawk was the designation given to two P-3 Hawks when they were used to test the Pratt & Whitney Wasp Jr engine.