Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.7

The Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.7 was a higher powered version of the B.E.3 and B.E.4, two experimental members of the B.E.2 family that were distinguished mainly by their staggered wings. The B.E.7 was very similar to the B.E.3/4, but with a 140hp two-row Gnome rotary engine. The new engine was heavier than the lower powered Gnome engines used in the earlier aircraft, and so the fuselage was reduced in length to maintain the aircraft's centre of balance.

The B.E.7 was designed by John Kenworthy in the summer of 1912, and was completed at the start of 1913. It made its maiden flight on 28 February with Geoffrey de Havilland at the controls and on the same day was handed over to the Royal Flying Corps. The B.E.7 had a short career with the Central Flying School. In November 1913 it was discovered that flames from the new engine's exhaust ports had burnt the engine bearing part of the fuselage. Rather than repair the aircraft it was decided to strike it off charge.

Air War Index - Air War Links - Air War Books

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (3 April 2009), Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.7 , http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_RAF_BE7.html

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group - Cookies