Douglas O-22

The Douglas O-22 was an experimental version of the O-2H observation aircraft, with a swept back upper wing and a radial engine.

The O-2H was a development of the original Douglas O-2 single bay equal span biplane. The O-2H had a modified fuselage and staggered unequal span straight wings, connected by individual struts. It was powered by the inline Liberty engine.

On the O-22 the upper wing was swept back. The wings were connected by N struts. The vertical tail surfaces were covered with corrugated metal instead of fabric. The tailskid was replaced with a tail wheel. Finally the Liberty engine was replaced by a Pratt & Whitney R-1340-9 radial engine. The two O-22s were delivered late in 1929 and were flown without any cowling, with a Townend ring and with an early version of the NACA cowling.

Air War Index - Air War Links - Air War Books

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (10 April 2013), Douglas O-22 , http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_douglas_O-22.html

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group - Cookies