Douglas O-8

The Douglas O-8 was a single aircraft based on the O-2 but powered by a Curtiss radial engine in place of the Liberty engine of the original.

The O-2 was a Liberty engined power observation aircraft that won a competitive test for an aircraft to replace the aging DH-4s of the US Air Service. It was an equal span biplane, of mixed construction, with a metal framed fuselage, wooden wings and a largely fabric covering.

The O-8 was ordered as part of the initial contract for 75 aircraft. Like the Douglas O-7 and Douglas O-9 it was originally meant to be powered by a Packard engine, in this case an inverted Packard 1A-1500, but it was eventually completed with a 400hp Curtiss R-1454 nine-cylinder radial engine.

The sole O-8 was later converted to O-2A standard by giving it a Liberty engine and night flying equipment.

Air War Index - Air War Links - Air War Books

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (9 April 2013), Douglas O-8 , http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_douglas_O-8.html

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group - Cookies