Douglas Dakota II

The Douglas Dakota II was the RAF designation for nine C-53 Skytroopers received under the lend lease scheme. Unlike the majority of RAF Dakotas these aircraft were therefore dedicated troop transports, lacking the wide cargo doors and reinforced floor of the C-47.

The nine Dakota IIs were used by No.216 Squadron, which operated all four versions of the aircraft in British service. This squadron was based in the Mediterranean, where it operated on a number of regular routes, as well as being used to drop airborne forces in the Aegean, and a large detachment was sent to Burma for two months from April 1944.

Air War Home Page - Air War Index - Air War Links - Air War Books
WWII Home Page - WWII Subject Index - WWII Links - WWII Books - Day by Day

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (12 November 2008), Douglas Dakota II, http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_douglas_dakota_II.html

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group - Cookies