Douglas Dakota IV

The Douglas Dakota IV was the RAF designation for 896 C-47Bs received under the lend-lease scheme. The only differences between these aircraft and the Dakota III/ C-47A was the use of Pratt & Whitney R-1830-90C Twin Wasp engines with two stage superchargers, installed to improve the high altitude performance of the aircraft, and an improved heating system.

During the Second World War the Dakota IV was used by twenty one RAF squadrons and three RCAF squadrons under RAF operational control. Sixty five Dakota IVs were passed on to the RAAF, equipping a number of squadrons operating under direct Australian command. The Dakota IV was used on regular transport routes over the North and South Atlantic and across Africa, as well as to tow gliders and drop paratroops during the attacks on Sicily, the Aegean, Italy, Normandy and across the Rhine.

Engines: 2x Pratt & Whitney R-1830-90C Twin Wasps
Power: 1,200hp each
Wing span: 95ft 6in
Length: 63ft 9in
Height: 17ft 0in
Empty weight: 18,135lb
Loaded weight: 26,000lb
Maximum weight: 31,000lb
Maximum speed: 224mph at 10,000ft
Cruising speed: 160mph
Service ceiling: 26,400ft
Normal range: 1,600 miles
Maximum range: 3,600 miles

Air War Home Page - Air War Index - Air War Links - Air War Books
WWII Home Page - WWII Subject Index - WWII Links - WWII Books - Day by Day

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (12 November 2008), Douglas Dakota IV , http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_douglas_dakota_IV.html

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group - Cookies