Fokker M.19

The Fokker M.19 was a reasonably successful Fokker biplane that entered German service as the Fokker D.III, but was mainly used as a training aircraft. It was based on the earlier M.17, also accepted as the D.II, and shared much with the M.17Z, including most of wing structure. It was a two-bay biplane, with a comma-shaped rudder. The M.19 was powered by the 160hp Uberursal UR.III 14 cylinder twin-row air cooled rotary engine and armed with twin forward mounted LMG 08 machine guns.

The prototype was sent to Adlershof for evaluation on 20 July 1916, but its similarity to the D.II meant that the first order, for 30 aircraft, was placed in June. As with all Fokker aircraft of this period, built quality was suspect, and the aircraft would soon be relegated to a training role.

Span: 29ft 8in
Length: 20ft 8in
Engine: 160hp Oberursal UR.III
Max Speed: 100mph
Time to 3,300ft: 3 minutes
Time to 13,000ft: 20 minutes
Armaments: Two LMG 08/15 machine-guns synchronized firing forward.

Books on the First World War | Subject Index: First World War

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (30 October 2007), Fokker M.19 , http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_fokker_m19.html

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group - Cookies