Junkers Ju 60

The Junkers Ju 60 was a single engined transport aircraft produced in 1932 that was the precursor of the Ju 160, which saw use with the Luftwaffe during the Second World War.

In the early 1930s Swissair purchased a number of Lockheed Orion transport aircraft, and Junkers decided to develop a commercial rival. The resulting aircraft was similar to the Orion. It was a cantilvered low-wing monoplane with an oval cross-section, four square cabin windows per side and room for six passengers. The crew saw below a raised canopy positioned behind and above the radial engine.

The Ju 60 used the standard Junkers corrugated surface on the wings, fin, rudder and elevators, but a smooth metal fuselage and tail plane. Two aircraft were built, both during 1932, and both powered by a 600hp BMW Hornet C radial engine in a NACA cowling, produced under license from Pratt & Whitney. The first aircraft, Ju 60a, had a fixed undercarriage, while Ju 60ba had a retracting undercarriage that folded forwards. After completing the two Ju 60s Junkers moved on to the Ju 160, a similar aircraft but with a completely smooth skin.

Air War Home Page - Air War Index - Air War Links - Air War Books
WWII Home Page - WWII Subject Index - WWII Links - WWII Books - Day by Day

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (14 November 2009), Junkers Ju 60 , http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_junkers_ju60.html

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group - Cookies